As I had said, technology is not evil; it is not the cause of our downfall. The primary factor is the love of money. For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith and pierced themselves through with many sorrows (1 Tim 6:10). Artist information Type: Group Founded: 1998 (22 years ago) Founded in: Brighton, Brighton and Hove, England, United Kingdom Area: United Kingdom Rating. 5 (see all ratings).
- Alibaba Group co-founder and executive chairman Jack Ma gestures during a pannel session at the World Economic Forum (WEF) annual meeting, on January 23, 2019 in Davos, eastern Switzerland.
- Technology Written by Tom Beaufoy & Chris Pardy Performed by Evil Nine Courtesy of Marine Parade Music Limited. Apartment 223 Written by Kutmasta Kurt (as Kurt Matlin) & Kool Keith (as Keith Thornton) Performed by Kool Keith (as Dr. Dooom) Courtesy of Funky Ass Records.
- Evil Nine made their label debut in 2000 with the 12' single 'Less Stress/Special Move,' followed by another, 'Technology/Big Game Hunter,' later in the year. After a couple further 12' singles - 'Cakehole' (2002), 'For Lovers, Not Fighters' (2003).
|Labels||For Lovers, Marine Parade|
Evil Nine are an English electronic music duo comprising members Tom Beaufoy and Patrick Pardy. Their musical style is primarily classified as breakbeat, although it additionally encompasses other influences.
The duo first came together in 1998 after meeting in Brighton. After sending in a demo cassette they were signed by Adam Freeland to his Marine Parade record label, with their first release being the single 'Less Stress'. According to Beaufoy (in an interview given to Fabric Nightclub) part of the reason that their demo cassette tape was actually listened to rather than thrown away (by 1998 cassettes had become virtually obsolete in favour of CDs) was because of their friendship with Jemma Griffiths, who worked for Marine Parade at the time. She has since gone on to achieve chart success as a singer-songwriter under the stage name 'Jem'.
After further single releases their debut album You Can Be Special Too was released to critical acclaim in 2004, winning the breakspoll 2004 award for best album. Prior to the release of You Can Be Special Too, Marine Parade suffered financial difficulties as a result of one of its distributors going into liquidation. This resulted in only 1000 copies of the album making it into stores initially, causing it to be a highly sought after item on eBay. The record eventually had a full release in greater numbers after the financial problems had subsided. The album featured collaborations with Aesop Rock and Juice Aleem, amongst others. The album track 'Hired Goons' features in the video game Test Drive Unlimited.
In addition to their own material, Evil Nine has also released two albums for the Y4K and fabric mix series (see FabricLive.28), as well as producing remixes for dance artists including Adam Freeland, Timo Maas, Ils and UNKLE.
The pair has developed a reputation amongst both fans and critics as not being afraid to push the boundaries of what is considered breakbeat music, and tend to incorporate a multitude of styles into their DJ sets. An example of this is the track listing for Fabriclive 28, which includes artists as diverse as Simian Mobile Disco, Bodyrockers, Mystery Jets, and The Clash.
As well as regularly playing at various nightclubs both in the UK and Europe they have held residencies at fabric Nightclub in London and Audio in Brighton, and they currently hold the position of 'Super-Residents' at Urban Gorilla in Sheffield.
On 24 April 2008 Evil Nine announced the completion of their second album. The album is titled 'They Live!' and was released in October 2008, preceded by the first single, the title track 'They Live!' on 4 August. The song 'Crooked' from the second album is on the video game Midnight Club: Los Angeles.
In May 2009, Evil Nine released The Power ep on Adam Freeland's Marine Parade label and the single No Manners featuring Spoek Mathambo in early 2010. The duo then launched their own record label, 'For Lovers' For Lovers on which they have so far released the singles Ultimo and Stay Up and Auto EP. In 2011 they released a single 'Little Prince' / 'Roar' on Bad Life Records.
- You Can Be Special Too (2004, Marine Parade Records)
- They Live! (2008, Marine Parade Records)
- The Power EP
- Broken Dreams EP (2012)
- New Girl EP (2014)
Mix compilation album appearances
- Evil Nine Present: Y4K (October 2005, Distinct'ive Records)
- FabricLive.28 (July 2006, Fabric Records)
- 'Less Stress/Special Move' - Marine Parade
- 'Technology/Big Game Hunter' - Marine Parade
- 'Cakehole' - Marine Parade
- 'For Lovers Not Fighters' - Marine Parade
- 'Crooked' (feat. Aesop Rock) - Marine Parade (8 December 2003)
- 'Restless' (feat. Toastie Taylor) - Marine Parade (26 April 2004)
- 'Pearl Shot' (feat. Juice Aleem) - Marine Parade (18 October 2004)
- 'Twist the Knife' (feat. Emily Breeze) - Marine Parade (3 December 2007)
- 'They Live!' - Marine Parade (7 July 2008)
- 'All The Cash (feat. EL-P)' - Marine Parade (1 December 2008)
- 'No Manners (feat. Spoek Mathambo)' - Marine Parade
- 'Ultimo' - For Lovers
- 'Stay Up' - For Lovers
- 'Auto' - For Lovers
- 'Little Prince / Roar' - Bad Life
Evil Nine Technology Institute
- ^'Archived copy'. Archived from the original on 28 September 2007. Retrieved 4 July 2007.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link) - Evil Nine biography article
- ^'Breakspoll 2004 winners list'. Archived from the original on 27 September 2007. Retrieved 25 November 2020.
- ^'Evil Nine'. Discogs.com. Retrieved 25 November 2020.
- ^'Archived copy'. Archived from the original on 7 August 2008. Retrieved 11 January 2008.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
Evil Nine Technology Group'Evil Nine - Y4K'
Evil Nine Technology Definition
Evil Nine - Y4K
With the Y4K series established at the forefront of breaks compilations the time is right to bring in breakbeat´s hottest propert - the duo that is Evil Nine.
For those that don´t know, but maybe should, Evil Nine are Tom Beaufoy and Pat Pardy and they´re at the top of their game; deriving their own musical flavour from multiple influences - hip hop, funk, deep house garage rock and techno amongst them.
Y4K is their first compilation and what an inspired selection of tracks it features - from Freeland, Heel and Toe (Evil Nine Mix), Evil Nine – Pearlshot, False Prophet – Wake Up and Stone Lions – Snow Over Arizona as well as exclusives from Bassbin Twins and False Prophet (PMT), it´s tracklist is as every bit cutting edge as the mix itself. As tough as nails, the album is a rocky, proggy, breaky and housey selection of cleverly chosen tracks laced with organic drums, live guitars and vocals with no shortage of attitude.
Their debut album ´You Can Be Special Too´ was shown much love from the likes of Pete Tong, Zane Lowe, Laurent Garnier, Plump DJs, Eddy TM, Q Magazine, Mixmag… with their unique style and approach to music evident throughout this project… echoing in many ways the feel of the acclaimed artist album. Their punk rock, DIY attitude is stamped all over the enclosed album, as yet again they try to take it one step further, one level up from the norm or perceived. They are all about not playing it safe and here they play with the compilation format for the first time and with great success.
The Y4K series can already boast Hybrid, Soul of Man, Phil K and, most recently, Ali B as contributors to one of the finest and most loved compilation series. Evil Nine keep with the quality and keep with the vibe. Enjoy the journey… - Progressive Sounds